February 2014.

Newport wraps up City Hall project at $142.2 million

By DEEPA BHARATH

NEWPORT BEACH Nearly a year after moving into the new Civic Center complex, council members signed off on an agreement to wrap up what is now a $142.2-million project.

The City Council voted 6-1 Tuesday, with Councilwoman Leslie Daigle dissenting, to pay $2.2 million to construction company C.W. Driver as part of a settlement agreement to close out the project.

Daigle said she would not approve the settlement because C.W. Driver gave the city a guaranteed price, but failed to deliver on that promise.

“They gave us a very powerful sales pitch, but they did not keep up that guarantee,” she said.

NEWPORT BEACH – Since city employees moved to the new, sprawling City Hall complex near Newport Center in March 2013, the cost of the controversial project has increased by about $10.5 million, pushing the grand total to about $142.2 million.

On Tuesday, the City Council is scheduled to vote on a settlement agreement with construction manager C.W. Driver, which would require the city to fork over $2.2 million for project-related claims from contractors for carpentry, landscaping, ceiling finishes and other changes prompted by design modifications.

According to a staff report, while the original claims from contractors and sub-contractors totaled about $8.2 million, some of those costs were absorbed by C.W. Driver and architect Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, and the city was left with $2.2 million to pay to avoid potential legal battles.

Watch candidate Rush Hill talk about controlling costs for the Taj Mahal to $80 million on this YouTube video and check out today’s Daily Pilot story of another $9 million in contractor claims.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPEe3jx4P_E


dailypilot.com/news/tn-dpt-me-0221-newport-council-update-20140220,0,522009.story

Newport Civic Center cost could climb by $2.2M

City Council is reviewing claims related to changes made during the project.

By Emily Foxhall

9:57 PM PST, February 20, 2014

The city of Newport Beach may fork over almost $2.2 million more toward its nearly $140-million Civic Center Project.

The City Council will vote Tuesday on a proposed settlement for contractors’ project-related claims, which include compensation for revised skylight supports, substitute walkway concrete and custom mounting bolts.

Several subcontractors submitted claims totaling more than $9 million to builder C.W. Driver after the project’s completion in April, according to the city’s staff report.

The subcontractors wanted payment for unforeseen costs known as change orders that the city previously rejected and to make up for alleged project delays, the staff report continues.